Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Before Formatting Your Laptop/Desktop Computer

I recently formatted my laptop and I wanted to make sure that I was ready by making a list of all the things I need to do before formatting. But still, I forgot to do something else. Now, I want to make a list of them all to make sure that next time, it won't happen again.

1. BACKUP!!! How many times do I have to reiterate this? (Sorry. I think my former job has something to do with the attitude here.) I'm not angry, I just want to make sure that this item would get into you (or me) and will never be forgotten. I didn't forget about backing up. In fact, I would usually backup files from the My Documents folder because that's where most of my files are located.

2. List applications to be installed. Go to your Add or Remove Programs window. This can be accessed through the Control Panel window. Then list all the applications that you need to install. Skip the applications you haven't used for more than 6 months. If you haven't used it that long, there's a bigger chance you will never use it again.

3. Installers and drivers. Locate where you keep all your installers and drivers. This includes installers for applications, operating system, printer, scanner, etc.

4. Links. If you frequently surf the net, chances are, you've got your favorite links bookmarked on your browser. Include this item to backup. For Internet Explorer, your Favorites folder is in the following path:

{Windows Directory}:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\Favorites

The bookmarked pages are stored differently from browser to browser. Refer to your browser's Help file for assistance.

I forgot to backup the last item so, "Yay me!" Now, I'm missing some of my favorite sites to visit.

I think I got everything covered now. I'll just look this list up the next time I'm formatting which I hope is not anytime soon.

If I forgot to include something, please let me know. We'll update this post.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to make sure that this item would get into me and will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search